Sidor

onsdag 26 mars 2008

Justin Hall - the first blogger

Justin Hall was a sophomore at Swarthmore College in 1993 when he heard about the Web. He coded some pages by hand in HTML. His “Justin’s Links from the Underground” may well have been the first serious weblog, long before specialized weblog software tools became available.

Helge: I did find this text from one of my blogs from August 2004. The story was written by someone else. I just copy pasted it for future use.

The first visitor to Hall’s site from outside the university came in 1994. He explained his motivations in an email: "Why did I do it? The urge to share of oneself, to join a great global knowledge sharing party. The chance to participate in something cool."

Helge: Sharing and participating in something cool!

Justin Hall tells about a "deep geek archivist’s urge to experiment with documenting and archiving personal media and experience". In college Justin realized that Proust and Joyce would have loved the web, and they likely would have tried a similar experiment - they were writing in hypertext, about human lives.

Helge: Why am I writing? I remember the documentary about Justin Hall. He started a movement. At the same time I was writing "Wiirilä Werkossa Wiikottain". This site isn't online now but I might republish it one day.

"It was journalism, but I was mostly reporting on me. In the early days, I wrote about the web, on the web, because few from Tom Paine to blogs and beyond other people were doing so," Justin explains.

Helge: I wrote about people in the small village "Wirby the global village" and it's still a struggle to be personal on the web.

"Once search engines and link directories emerged, I didn’t need to catalog everything online. So I enjoyed having a tool to map my thoughts and experiences, and a chance to connect those thoughts and experiences to the rest of the electrified English-speaking world," Justin Hall wrote.

Helge: My motivation since 1995 was "to map my thoughts and experiences" from the small village were I'd been born, starting when I returned from France to Finland.

Inga kommentarer: